World Earth Day Special!
Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22 worldwide. It aims at demonstrating support for environment and making people aware of mother earth. This was first celebrated in 1970 but is now celebrated around the globe as Earth Day. Its celebrated in more than 193 countries each year with a theme for change to save our earth.
What Is The Earth Day 2018 Theme?
Starting from the last year, the World Earth Day 2017 was themed on “Environmental and Climate Literacy”, 2016 was “Trees for the Earth!”,2015 was “Water Wonderful World” and “Clean Earth – Green Earth” and so on. Earth Day 2018 is themed to ‘End Plastic Pollution‘. As this year aims to end plastic as its causing pollution. Let’s do our part by encouraging people to cut down the use of plastic, by paying attention to the number of plastic bags used/person Annually. This will help in doing a conscious effort to reduce the same and bring about some change.
According to A Paper Published in the Scientific Journal Chemistry & Biology in 2009, Plastic is non-biodegradable and disposed plastic can remain in the environment for up to 2,000 years.
“End Plastic Pollution Campaign” Has Four Major Components Namely:
- Regulate plastic and support adoption of a global framework to reduce pollution,
- Educate, mobilize, and encourage citizens to ask the government to clean up plastic pollution.
- Take responsibility to reduce plastic pollution by adopting 4R’s namely- Reject, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle plastics, and Recovery.
- Help local government to implement regulations to reduce plastic pollution.
Importance of Earth Day 2018:
- Plantation of new trees by each one of us would safeguard future.
- Keep a water in a container to let birds beat the thrust in summer, make a nest for a bird.
- Don’t cut trees to maintain the ecological balance.
- Encourage people to reduce usage of plastic bags and promote them to use the paper bag instead.
- Teach your children methods by which they can reuse the old materials.
- Pick up the wastes that you can see on the streets, parks and other places.Source
- Promote people for energy conservation by asking them to switch off the lights if not needed.
- Teach people that every day of their life is earth day, so they should take care of the earth on daily basis.
- Use reusable bags when you go shopping.
- Don’t use plastic straws, plastic cups for drinking anything as it’s poisonous, use reusable products.
- Go for the box bottles instead of bottles as recycling a cardboard is easier than plastic.
- Pack meals in reusable containers instead of disposable plastic containers and sandwich bags.
“Every Day is Earth Day, and I vote we start investing in a secure climate future right now.”
– Jackie Speier